The first comfort food to healthy version recipe is up, and it’s an oldie but a goodie! Zucchini spaghetti has been pretty popular for awhile now and for good reason! You get all of the flavors of a delicious, heaping bowl of carb filled spaghetti with none of the guilt.
Spiralize your zucchini (because it’s only the greatest invention on the planet) and get a real spaghetti vibe coming from this super versatile, and super healthy vegetable. Don’t have a spiralizer? Don’t fret! Zucchini tastes just as good thinly sliced.
Wanna make it vegetarian or vegan? Omit the meat and add in tofu instead. Don’t like tofu? Add in delicious hearty vegetables like mushrooms to give the dish that meaty, full flavor and texture. This zucchini spaghetti recipe is so versatile you can change it up as you see fit! Also, figuring out portion sizes for this recipe is super simple, just make one small zucchini per person!
Printable recipe is below!
- - 1/2 lb ground beef or ground turkeu
- - 1 small to medium zucchini (per person) - spiralized or thinly sliced
- - 1/2 onion - diced
- - 1 tomato - diced
- - 3 cloves garlic - minced
- - 2 TBSP tomato paste
- - 1 TBSP olive oil
- - 1 bay leaf
- - 3/4 cup veggie or chicken broth
- - Pinch chili pepper flakes - omit if you'd prefer no spice!
- - Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by spiralizing your zucchini. Cut of the ends and fix into the spiralizer, then wind away! If you don't have a spiralizer you should get one, but you can thinly cut the zucchini about 1/2 inch thick.
- Brown your meat on medium high heat and season with salt, pepper and chili pepper flakes.
- Remove your meat and drain the grease then set aside.
- Heat up olive oil in the skillet and cook your onion and garlic until translucent.
- Add in your tomato paste, your veggie broth, salt, pepper, tomato flakes and your bay leaf. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add in your meat and your zucchini spaghetti. Cover again and cook for another 5 minutes, or longer depending on how soft you'd like your zucchini to be.
- Serve in a bowl and sprinkle with parmesan cheese, fresh cracked pepper and fresh basil.