I’m always trying to find ways to “healthify” my favorite snack foods. Liked the butternut squash fries I made? Well you have to check out these sweet potato tots!
These sweet Potato Tots are simple, delicious, and kinda good for you! They’re lighter than regular tater tots, and they are SO delicious! You can make them in the oven, like I did, or fry them a bit on the stove top! That’ll make them a little greasier, and a little less healthy, but they’re still a decent treat so don’t feel too guilty!
For these sweet potato tots I started off with 2 sweet potatoes and then I peeled them. Put them in a pot full of salted water for about 15 minutes until they are a bit softer. You don’t want them to be too soft because you’re still going to grate them on the grater.
Once you’ve cooked the sweet potatoes, allow them to cool down. Then grate them with a cheese grater, wrap in a kitchen towel, cheese cloth, or paper towels, and squeeze as much moisture out as possible. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
Combine 1 cup panko, 1 tbsp onion powder, 1 tbsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp smoked paprika, salt and pepper in a bowl. Mix in 3 tbsp of coconut oil. Form your grated sweet potatoes into tots, and coat them in the panic mixture.
Place your tots on a foil lined baking sheet and spray with olive oil spray when you’re done. Place them in the oven and cook for about 25 minutes, turning halfway. You may have to cook a bit longer depending on your oven for your desired crispiness.
if you’re not in the mood to wait for the oven, or wanna get them REALLY crispy… Fry them in some grape seed oil or coconut oil. All you need is a shallow layer of oil and dry out on a paper towel!! Not as healthy as the baked version, but it’s A OK to indulge a little.
- - 2 sweet potatoes - peeled
- - 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- - 1 tbsp onion powder
- - 1 tbsp garlic powder
- - 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- - salt and pepper to taste
- - 2 tbsp coconut oil
- After you've peeled your sweet potatoes, boil them in a pot of salted water for about 15 minutes.
- Grate them using a cheese grater or a grating attachment in a food processor.
- Squeeze the moisture out using a cheese cloth, a kitchen towel or paper towels.
- Form the grated sweet potatoes into tots and preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Coat the tots in the panko mixture and place in a single layer on a foil lined baking sheet. Spray with oil oil cooking spray.
- Cook for about 45 minutes (or until crispy), turning halfway through. Or you can fry them in canola oil instead for extra crispiness!