Spaghetti Squash “Pasta”
I’m a huge spaghetti squash fan. Just as I use zucchini squash to make zucchini pasta, I use spaghetti squash to make a healthy version of “spaghetti.” This recipe is so delicious, I’m gonna make it again as soon as possible. It features spaghetti squash , sun dried tomatoes, lots of garlic and onion, spinach, chicken breast and feta cheese! You’ll fall in love just as I did…trust me!
To start, you’ll want to saute your onions, garlic, and sun dried tomatoes in 1tbsp of olive oil and 1 tbsp of butter.
Once your onions are translucent, add in your chicken and cook through. About 5-7 minutes. Add in your spaghetti squash and cook that down a bit.
Finally, add in your spinach, butter, and a bit of feta cheese. (reserve a little for topping) At this point you can also season to taste with salt and pepper. I also added a bit of veggie broth just to add a but more moisture before I put the top on.
Put the top on so the all of the ingredients can melt together a bit, and simmer for about 5 minutes. Top with feta and green onions, and a bit of red chili flakes and enjoy!
This is such an amazing alternative to pasta. Although you can’t quite “slurp” it like you would with spaghetti or angel hair, you’ll feel better at the end because you can eat twice as much with little to no guilt! I’m all about making comfort foods healthy (like I do on my YouTube channel) so this is one of those recipes that I just make over and over!
You can swap out the chicken and cheese and make this baby vegan, too. Or if you’re still into eating cheese, make it vegetarian! Sub in some tofu in place of the chicken, or just load on the veggies! Whatever you do, do not cut out the sundried tomatoes. They really make this dish amazing!
- - 1/2 spaghetti squash - roasted
- - 1/2 jar sun dried tomatoes in oil
- - 1/2 yellow onion - diced
- - 3 cloves garlic - chopped
- - 1 cup spinach
- - 1 chicken breast - seasoned with salt and pepper and diced
- - 2 tbsp butter
- - salt + pepper
- - feta cheese
- To start, roast your butternut squash. Cut your squash in half, set your oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit, scoop out the seeds, and set your squash face down on a baking sheet. Bake for about 40 minutes or until the squash is easily pierced with a fork.
- Scoop out one half of the squash per person.
- Saute the sun dried tomatoes, onions and garlic until the onions are translucent. Add in your chicken and cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the spaghetti squash to the mixture and the butter.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cover with a top.
- Cook until the squash is warm and the chicken is cooked.
- Top with feta cheese and green onions and enjoy!