Crispy chicken is GOOD. Don’t get me wrong. Bread and fry anything and I’m totally on board. But as you know working out and eating healthy helps me improve my mental, physical, and emotional health – so I can only eat those kinds of things sometimes. But these cauliflower tacos are GOOD – so I don’t even miss the chicken!
As a result of my healthy-inclination, I use cauliflower in place of chicken A LOT. These cauliflower tacos are really good – and you don’t use as much breading, you don’t deep fry them, and you can wrap them in a corn tortilla or even just eat them alone! Substitute the chicken for a healthier version of your favorite rice and bean bowl. Top with some guacamole, salsa, cilantro – and really anything you like. You can also make these bad boys vegan like I did, so it’s a win win on all sides! (the batter definitely sticks better when you use egg, of course)
FIRST – THE CAULIFLOWER
Start off with the above ingredients for 1 person. I had a little extra cauliflower left over but it was pretty darn good so I just ate those by themselves!
Start off with the batter. I used coconut oil and water, but you can use a flax egg if you’re going vegan. If you aren’t going vegan, feel free to use the usual egg wash.
Next, you’re going to dip your battered cauliflower in the panko. I seasoned mine with salt, pepper, chipotle powder and garlic powder. But feel free to season it with whatever flavor you’re going with that day! You could do something italian with dried basil, or you could do something Indian using curry powder, garam masala – the flavors are 100% up to your imagination for these cauliflower tacos!
Once your cauliflower is battered and breaded, line an aluminim baking sheet and heat your oven to 350 F. Place your cauliflower on the baking sheet and pop them into your pre-heated oven. Cook for about 15 minutes until crispy and golden brown on one side, then turn them over. Cook them for about 15 more minutes or until the outside is golden brown and the cauliflower is cooked. I poked a toothpick in to make sure they were soft.
AND NOW, THE SAUCE –
This is the beginning to a delicous sauce. Trust me, I know what I’m talking about.
It’s SAUCE TIME! This cashew based sauce is SO GOOD. You can do so much with cashews. From soaking them and making a sauce, to an alfredo sauce, to a cheese sauce, to a nut butter. They are versatile and totally delicious.
I soaked about 1/2 cup of cashews overnight, and then I popped them into my magic bullet along with chipotle, veganaise, tomato paste, a little minced garlic, lime juice, and cilantro. I LOVE chipotle and I can handle a lot of spice, hence the amount of chipotle in this recipe. Of course season with salt and pepper to taste. You can also add a little bit of water or vegetable broth if it’s too thick and won’t mix properly.
Oh, and if you don’t have a magic bullet you need to get one. It’s great for everything from making bulletproof coffe, to small batches of salad dressings…and pretty much everything else you can blend or grind. (like coffee!)
Now blend until smooth and set aside.
Creamy goodness guys, creaaaaamyyyyy goodness.
LET’S GET TO BUILDING!
Next I made a batch of my delish homemade guacamole. I mean, I bring this guacamole to parties and get togethers all the time and it’s usually devoured within the first 10 minutes. There is a secret ingredient so if you haven’t tried it out yet – please do! You can also make this fresh homemade salsa that I love.
Now it’s time to start loading up! Cauliflower, cilantro, your cauliflower sauce, maybe some salsa or tomatoes. Whatever you like on your tacos. Possibly some finely diced radishes, or green onions…whatever you’d like!
And finally, we are done. Omg I ate these SO fast. I was a little upset that I had to photograph them which meant they weren’t quite as warm as I would’ve liked…but all of you out there can ENJOY your tacos without having to take pics. (unless you want to of course) Luckyyy you!
Here are the items that I LOVE and used for this recipe!
- For the Cauliflower + Batter
- - 1/4 head cauliflower - Cut into florets
- - 1/4 cup coconut oil - (if it's too thin add more oil)
- - 1/4 cup water - 2tbsp at a time
- - 1/4 cup panko seasoned with salt, pepper, chipotle, and garlic powder
- - Guacamole for garnish
- - Tomatoes - diced for garnish
- - Cilantro for garnish
- - Corn tortillas, or a rice bowl - up to you!
- For the Sauce
- - 1/2 cup cashews - soaked overnight
- - 1-2 tbsp's of chipotle powder
- - 1 tsp tomato paste
- - 1 Tbsp veganaise
- - 1 tbsp ime jiuce
- - Cilantro to taste
- - Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 F and making your batter.
- To start your batter, place 1/4 cup coconut oil and 2 tbsp of water into the batter. Keep adding water until it's a fairly thick consistency.
- Mix together your panko and any seasonings you like. Dip your cauliflower florets into the batter first, then into the panko.
- Place your cauliflower onto your foil lined baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes, flipping halfway through until golden brown and softened.
- While your cauliflower is cooking make your sauce!
- Add cashews, lime juice, chipotle, veganaise, minced garlic, cilantro, tomato paste, and possible a tabelspoon or two of water if it's too thick.
- Let your blender or bullet run for about 5 minutes until smooth - (I recommend a bullet because if you're only making 1 serving - many times the bowl of a blender or food processor is too big to blend everything smoothly.) - remove when it's the consistency you desire.
- Load your corn tortillas with guacamole, and start building how you like!
- Enjoy with a crisp beer, or sparking water, or really...whatever you want!