Cilantro Lime Chicken
I have this thing about grilling. I love to do it. Whether I’m grilling up a rack of ribs, grilling the corn in a salad, or grilled up some delicious vegetables…grilling is my thing! This time I decided to grill a simple chicken breast seasoned with some of my favorite mexican inspired tastes like cilantro, lime, cumin and chili powder.
This cilantro lime chicken is then grilled to perfection so it’s super tender and moist and full of mouthwatering flavor.
To start, these are the ingredients. This recipe makes 2 chicken breasts pounded thin. I like to pound my breasts thin and then season on both sides with salt and pepper.
Next I place all of my ingredients into a ziplock bag. I like using the bag rather than a bowl because I can more easily keep everything in one place and also keep the splatter down. Since we’re dealing with raw chicken here the last thing we want is to splash any of the raw chicken juices around our kitchen.
This cilantro lime chicken is a little different because I decided to add a tablespoon of dijon mustard! I think it really adds a depth of flavor and it masks itself beneath the other ingredients so it’s just a nice little hint of the dijon flavor. If you’re not into dijon don’t worry! It really is subtle and adds a lot to this recipe.
I always place one of the halves of the lime in the bag with the chicken. Not sure why but… that’s just what I do! I ended up only using 1 whole lime for the marinade. You can use two if you’d like, but I had a feeling it would make it way too acidic, especially since I didn’t add anything sweet into the mix (like agave ) to counter it. Please, feel free to add a tablespoon of agave if you’re feeling a little sweet! I’m sure that would’ve made a delicious addition!
Next you’re going to grill on high for about 10 minutes total until your chicken is nice and charred on the outside. Then place them on the top rack and turn your grill off. Keep it closed and let sit for another 2-5 minutes.
Pounding the breasts thin is what really makes this recipe cook so quickly so I highly recommend it!
- - 2 chicken breasts pounded thin
- - 1 tsp cumin
- - 1 tsp dijon mustard
- - 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- - 1/2 tsp onion powder
- - 1/2 tsp chili powder
- - 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- - 1 tbsp olive oil
- - 1 - 2 limes, juiced
- - salt and pepper to taste
- - cilantro as garnish
- To start, pound your chicken breaststhin so they are even all the way across.
- Next, salt and pepper your chicken on both sides and place in a ziplock bag.
- Add all ingredients to the ziplock and close. Mix around so your breasts are coated evenly.
- Sit outside of the fridge until your breasts reach room temperature, or inside the fridge overnight.
- Always allow your protein to come to room temperature before cooking.
- Heat your gas grill to high. Once the grill is hot, place your chicken breasts on the grates horizontally.
- Cook for about 2 minutes and rotate 180 degrees. Cook for about another 2 minutes.
- Flip to the other side and do the same.
- Move your chicken to the top rack and turn your heat to off.
- Let sit for about 2 more minutes.
- Total cook time will be about 10 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and a fresh squeeze of lime juice.